Fall Into Squash (Or Sweet Potato)
BURNIN' BEAK FALL INTO SQUASH (OR SWEET POTATOES!)
One of the most wonderful aspects of fall is the fact that our grocery stores start carrying all kinds of (in season) winter squash and sweet potatoes - acorn, butternut, pumpkin, spaghetti squash, yams, sweet potatoes to name just a few varieties.
And, you may have heard that these foods are a powerhouse of nutritional health benefits. Some say they are some of the world's healthiest foods!
So, we've got a quick and easy way to prepare them so you can enjoy lots of them this season and know that you're eating for your health as well as your taste buds.
As far as which Burnin' Beak Pepper Jelly to serve with them, either the Habanero or the Ghost Pepper would be delicious. The combination of sweet, tangy, spicy pepper jelly with winter squash or sweet potato is just divine!
FOOD AND WINE PAIRINGS
Looking for a meal companion for this recipe? Pork tenderloin or chops or chicken breasts or thighs are all great choices. Green beans and a side salad would pair nicely as well.
For the wine, we think a fine Chianti would be the perfect compliment.
Preparation For Roasted Winter Squash (OR Sweet Potato!)
1. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
2. Slice the winter squash or potato in half lengthwise. For the squash, scoop out the seeds (discard the seeds OR reserve them to roast in the oven later).
3. Drizzle flesh with olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Place halved squash or potato cut side down on a foil-lined baking sheet.
4. Place in the center of the oven and roast until flesh is soft and tender to the touch and browned on the skin, usually 40 minutes to 1 hour, depending on the size of the halves.
5. Remove from oven, let cool slightly, spread with butter or Earth Balance and our pepper jelly.
If you like this recipe, you might also like: